Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Found on tombstones ... part 2

A lawyer's epitaph in England :

Sir John Strange.
Here lies an honest lawyer,
And that is Strange.
.............

John Penny's epitaph in the Wimborne,  England, cemetery:

Reader, if cash thou art in want of any,
Dig 6 feet deep and thou wilt find a Penny.

------------
In a cemetery in Hartscombe , England :

On the 22nd of June, Jonathan Fiddle went
Out of tune.

------------
Anna Hopewell's grave in Enosburg Falls, Vermont : 0A

Here lies the body of our Anna,
Done to death by a banana.
It wasn't the fruit that laid her low,
But the skin of the thing that made her go.
---------

In a cemetery in Massachusetts :

Under the sod and under the trees,
Lies the body of Jonathan Pease.
He is not here, there's only the pod.
Pease shelled out and went to God..
----------

In a cemetery in England :

Remember man, as you walk by,
As you are now, so once was I
As I am now, so shall you be..
Remember this and follow me.

To which someone replied by writing on the tombstone:

To follow you I'll not consent.
Until I know which way you went.

1 comment:

  1. ummm! mostly English tomb stones. A bit worrying. I'm gonna have, "Told you I was bloody ill" on mine.

    ReplyDelete

I am the sole authority on "to publish or not to publish" any comments. No explanations given if asked why or why not. Take it or leave it.