Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Joke: The trouble with Catholic upbringing

As I walked down the busy sidewalk with my wife, knowing we were late for Mass, my eyes fell upon one of those unfortunate ragged vagabonds that are found in every city these days. Some people turned to stare. Others quickly looked away as if the sight might somehow contaminate them.

Recalling how my old pastor, Father Michael, always preached for us to "care for the sick, to feed the hungry, and to clothe the naked", I was moved by some powerful inner urge to reach out to this unfortunate person, who was wearing something that can only be described as rags and who was carrying her worldly possessions in two plastic bags.

My heart was touched by this person's condition. Yes, where some people saw only rags, I saw a hidden inner beauty, a spiritual purity.

Father Michael was right. A small voice inside my head called out, "Reach out..., reach out and touch this person!"

So I did

I don't think I'll be attending Mass for a couple of weeks
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am the sole authority on "to publish or not to publish" any comments. No explanations given if asked why or why not. Take it or leave it.